Friday, June 4, 2010

Asante Sanna Squash Banana

I think children in America know more Swahili than might be assumed.
Simba means Lion
Rafiki means Friend
Safari means trip or journey
Hakuna means No. As in No Worries. You know, Hakuna Matata.
Matata is problem or worry.
Jambo! is a greeting. But I’ve learned Jambo is more like an enthusiastic British “Alright?” than “Hello.”
The correct response to Jambo is Jambo.
Like alright?
Alright!
Sometimes they respond to Jambo with Jambo, Jambo!
It is very rude not to greet people when you pass. And we wave to everyone, and everyone here enthusiastically waves back. “Jambo Mzungu! Jambo!”

Yesterday I had a conversation with our Kenyan driver like this:
Peter: Your skin is already changing after only one day
Me: Yes, I always get darker in the sun. Does your skin change or does it stay the same all year?
Peter: Our skin maintains its color, but when we go to America we become whiter. I do not know why, but look at your president. If he came to Kenya he would get very dark, I think.
Me: Like a real African.
Peter: Yes. A real African man.
Me: What do you think of our president? I saw his picture painted on a bus.
Peter: We are all so very proud here in Kenya. We all love him.
Me: What do YOU think of him though?
Peter: I am very proud, yes. Not only that he is your president, but also that he is so very bright.

Later, Peter took me to buy a Kanga, a women’s skirt, and he asked the man working there something in Swahili.
“Yes, I thought so,” he said, and gave me a sneaky smile. He followed the Market man to the back, where he pulled out a long skirt. It was beautiful green and grey with a map of Africa on it. He unfolded it and there was a large picture of Obama’s face.
I absolutely bought that skirt. Though I told Peter later, it would be strange to wear in America.
“ Like wearing a Kabaki Kanga” said Matt, and Peter laughed and laughed. Kibaki is the Kenyan president. Actually, often when I introduce myself people think I am saying Kibaki. They all laugh and repeat, “Kibaki! Kibaki!”
Finally Matt told them, Becky is kidogo (small, or little) for Rebeccah. That made much more sense to them, since most people here have Biblical or Swaheli names.
After I bought my Kanga, I tried to tie it on, since it is essentially a large cloth that they wrap into a skirt. When we got to one of Komaza’s farms, where we were filming, there was a large group of women. They didn’t speak English, but they laughed when they saw my Kanga.
“Can you help me?” I asked, pointing to it.
They all covered their mouths and whispered and giggled, and finally one brave girl came over and wrapped it for me. “Asante Sanna,” I said and they laughed and clapped. Peter said, “They are saying you are very bright!”
Travis had walked away and I rushed to catch up with him. I stumbled and tripped in my skirt. All the women laughed and waved.
I walked down into the farm, constantly stumbling and retying my kanga. When I came back up the hill, men had also gathered and they laughed and cheered while the women whispered behind their hands and giggled.
Peter said, “The men say you look very smart!” I assume they meant that the British way, smart like attractive. It was very flattering.

The people here are unbelievably nice. In the city people were constantly helping us and staring at us and asking for money. But here in Kilifi they just want to say hello. They respond excitedly when you try to speak in their language. (All I can say is Hello, How are you? I am well. and a few basic other things like Thank you, My name is, and goodbye.) They cheer when you try to dress like them.
It makes me annoyed with Americans, who assume everyone who comes to the country should speak English, or dress in blue jeans. The Kenyan's don’t care how we dress, or talk.
They just appreciate it that we try.

5 comments:

MARCIE said...

Wonderful post Kidogo Rebeccah! I can visualize it all, esp. you running and tripping. It sounds like you make them happy! But seriously, an Obama skirt?

tammy said...

I love your stories. They remind me of my experiences. I love Africa. You are so lucky.

Jessica D. said...

I love this! I think I've seen your kanga because we were shown a bunch of them when we had a guest lecturer come in during my Africa class this last semester! I'm glad you are having such a good time.

Mary said...

I can not believe that you bought a obama skirt although I might have done the same if i was there jsut because well its so silly! I love the post they are so fun good luck with the language!

Beulah Els said...

Lovely memories... I've often traveled to Kenya and once dressed in a Kenyan outfit to address a press conference! I have been living in Dubai for over 7 years and many of the porters at the hotels are from Kenya and I love surprising them with a smiling 'asante sanna' when they open or close my car door and it's always the same respone with a huge smile 'Karibu sanna'! By the way, kidogo is also the word used to describe a 'bribe' which translates into 'something small'... I had to learn that the hard way sometimes when my queue was just not moving at check-in and you know for sure someone down the line is waiting for 'kidogo'. Thank you for sharing your memories!
Beulah