Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bleeding Heart

"You know the problem with being a bleeding heart?"

"Are you a bleeding heart?"

"Yes. I think so. Don't you think so?"

"Oh yes. I think bleeding heart, synonym: Travis Pitcher."

"Well, I am."

"So what's the problem?"

"You just let your heart bleed too much. Until you're out of blood."

"Then you stop caring? Or are you dead?"

"There's just so much wrong with the world. There's so much to do. I want to do something. Something real, something that matters. But if you let yourself care too much you just dry up until you're discouraged looking at everything that has to be done."


So, blog readers. Help Travis "bleeding heart" Pitcher out.
Everything I know about poverty, about women's rights, about child mortality, about the spread of disease, and about every major problem in the world tells me that problems could be solved if we had that one magic thing:
Education.
I know that my last post was a little anti-school. But really it was anti-useless school. Which is something, sometimes (when I'm sitting in a class about facebook or Victorian Literature) I feel like I am paying for.

Travis recently did a Tipping Bucket to help underprivileged kids right here in the USA get education.
But I just want to brag a teeny-tiny bit about my sweet bleeding heart husband.
Travis has made several films for the Tipping Bucket, most of which are helping raise money for education.
Travis has made a beautiful documentary for Komaza, an organization in Kenya helping farmers come out of poverty, and although they don't say it in the documentary I sat and listened to farmer after farmer say "the things I will spend this money on are school fees for my children."

Travis isn't changing laws or pushing bills or helping revolutions to rise.
But every time he helps make it possible for one more kid to go to school he changes their life.
He changes the lives of their families and their future posterity.

It's hard to look out at the world and see all the problems.
And it's really hard for some of us (me) to ever focus on the problems of anyone beside ourselves.
And I'm really proud of my bleeding heart husband.

And if you want to help, but don't quite know how...

3 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

hurray for bleeding hearts and education!

Marge Bjork said...

and great video!

MARCIE said...

Well said Becky, and well done Travis!