Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Prairie





Yesterday I spent the day slumping around and being grouchy.
As the day continued, I became more and more defensive.

I was home alone.
But I was sure that when Travis got home he would be angry with me and I would have to defend myself, since I was also sure that I was right.
And I spent the whole day preparing my defenses.

You see, about a week ago Travis gave me 50 dollars and said "Don't use the debit card this week, just use the cash."

And I was probably supposed to spend it on groceries and things (which I did) but I was also not supposed to go shopping.
Or so one must assume.

But I went to the DI, (that doesn't count as shopping, right?) to look for a frame so I could finally hang up our blasted Proclamation to the World.
I am on a beautifying-my-home kick after going to my friend Suzanne's and finding it to be the most darling house I've ever been in (She is an interior designer -check out what she did in Nie Nie's house - SO cute, right?)
And as I was already at the DI i decided to wander through the other sections in case there was something I absolutely needed.

And there was something.
It was a 6 dollar box-set.
Of books that I already owned beautiful copies of.

But I bought it.
And then I felt guilty.

And then I was mad that Travis was mad (which he wasn't, because he wasn't home)and I might have hidden the box set so he wouldn't go "Where'd that come from?" and then I would have to say "The DI."
And then he'd say "But you already own those books."
and I'd say "But mine are antiques! Mine are too old for children to read, and they're kids books!"
And then we'd both be angry.


But when Travis got home he said "Did you go to DI?"
and I freaked out a little.
"How did you know that?"
"I just know things," he teased.
"How did you know I went to the DI?"

And then I remembered that I had looked up the address online and left the page up, and he had seen it.
"What did you buy?" he asked.(Conversationally, but to me it seemed hostile)
"A frame and ...mumble mumble..."
and I left the room quickly.

And he said, "Hey, what did you buy?"
"A box set of books," I said.
"How much was that?" he asked.
"Six dollars."
"That's not bad at all," he said. "What books?"
"Well, they're books I already own, but they're my favorite books so..."
"What books are they?" he repeated.
"The Little House books."

"That's awesome!" said Travis, "all the books for 6 dollars is not too shabby."


Oh, I love him.

Why am I so crazy and paranoid?


p.s. Look how cute, my grandpa signed his name in half these books as a little kid.

5 comments:

travis pitcher said...

WHAT! YOU SPENT MONEY ON COOL STUFF!! How dare you.

( I hope you continue to do this )

Allie said...

6 bucks!!!!???!!! That is the steal of the century! I wanted a box set of those books and the paperbacks were $50 new! So I left the store broken hearted and am still searching for a better deal! Glad Travis was a sport about it.

HereBeDragons said...

What a great deal! Six bucks? A steal. I'm so jealous. We read these as a kid and I'm related to the author for heaven's sake! and yet, I don't have a full set. I'm usually collecting used copies as I find them in thrift shops. I haven't found them all yet, nor do they match.

The same applies to my Narnia "set."

The Stanley's said...

You are my little house soul mate. PS I love chilly too.

Polly said...

It makes me mad, because I bought you a beautiful boxed set which I good willed because you never read them while you were a child. (does that make you feel better? I thought maybe you wanted someone to be mad?)