Thursday, January 14, 2010

Emails

This week I've done an experiment. Every day I've sent an email to a different photographer that I admire.
The emails go like this:
Hi so and so,
I am a great admirer of your work. I especially love how you [.... blah blah blah.] The recent photoshoot on your blog, called [John and Jane's] wedding is a perfect example of what I'm so impressed with. How did you do [something amazing]? Thanks for your help!
Becky Pitcher.

I asked questions about lighting, about making subjects look comfortable and even laugh, I asked about the type of film and lenses photographers used. I asked a bunch a questions.
BUT I only asked each of them ONE question.
And I've only gotten one email back.
And it did not help me.

I am feeling very disappointed.
If you are wondering who the photographers that I emailed are... I will not tell you.
But here are some of my very favorite photographers and inspirations to be better:

Jose Villa

Amelia Lyon

Cliff Mautner

Jessica Claire

Leo Patrone

The Image is Found

and actually, now that I look at it, I only emailed three of the people up there. The other 4 I did not list.

There. You should be inspired too.
Also, notice how over half of those photographers are film photographers? I think there's a theme.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Dear Becky,

Don't be too disappointed. These are very busy people. By my estimation, some of them make $1000+/hr. Many also do comprehensive blogs where they give the information you asked about for free. They probably get tons of emails asking stuff like that. You should check out strobist.com

Dad