Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Art of M. S. Corley

I am in love.
This man, whose art I have been perusing for the last half hour or so, is amazing.
As far as I understand it, he just made covers for dozens of children's books, sent them to certain people and said "If you're interested, let me know."
He's made outstanding covers for The Series of Unfortunate Events books, the SpiderWick Chronicles, and of course, my favorite young adult novels, the Harry Potter books.
Check out his art here.






Mostly what I love is that he takes probably the most important part of each book, at least the place where the biggest realization comes, or in some cases the deux ex machina (which Rowling ALWAYS seems to have) but he doesn't give away the story, as some of the other book covers do.
example: while Travis was reading the Prisoner of Azkaban, he said "I'm not worried, Sirius escapes on Buckbeak, somehow. It's here on the cover."
Dang it.
I love the old covers, but these covers are... there's no other word for it, cool.

2 comments:

Safia D. said...

Nice blog. I'm reading and following random blogs here, its one of those days.
smile always,

Lana said...

Deus. It's Latin my dear for God. Not french for 'two'

For some reason I'm on a correcting your spelling kick. Sorry. I love you and can't wait to tell you about Scotland!