Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"people don't choose to be sheltered."


I like to judge people who are super sheltered, because they don't understand so many things that I think are fundamental to both survival and happiness.
I was thinking of the little catchphrase mormons use: "Be in the world, but not of it."
but I think I have a different interpretation than most people.
I would say it's similar to saying: "Make the world, don't let it make you."

Here's what I thought about today:

I was sheltered. Yes, I knew a lot about sex, drugs, and rock and roll (I went to public school, after all, and had parents who were honest with me if I had questions about anything... not like I ever wanted to ask them.) Most of my friends were not mormon, and I when they said things or told dirty jokes I overheard them, (and went home to look things up online). But I didn't watch R-rated movies. I didn't swear . I understood the word of wisdom and law of chastity.
I had a pretty good balance, I'd say.

We live in the world. There is no getting around that. There's no reason that we should want to get around that, anyway. God made us a beautiful place to live, and filled it with beautiful people for us to live with.
We need to interact with and understand our societies, communities, culture, and politics, because even if we try not affect them, they will affect us. Schools teach our kids, communities keep them safe, politicians make decisions for them. We were never told to only love our neighbors if they love God, too. It is our responsibility to to be good citizens and neighbors, to be teachers, to do good, to spread the gospel. We can't do that if we are locked in our homes being "not of the world."

I am a product of what surrounds me. What I've read, where I've lived, who I've known, what I've listened to, seen, and said. I am a product of the world that surrounds me.
The big difference between the world that surrounds me, and the world that surrounds most people is that the gospel surrounds me, too.
Thus despite being "in the world," the world did not make me.

Did you see my lotus?
When we went to the Hare Krishna temple this summer, the tour guide told us of an important Hindu symbol. "It's like the mormon belief of being in the world, but not of it," he said.
The lotus flower lives in the water, yet it is not wet.
It cannot survive without the enviornment, and is an important part of the ecosystem.
Yet, it is not a part of the water. It is not surrounded, nor can it be consumed by the water.
The water and the lily are connected. The lily is on the water, the water flows through the lily.
But they are seperate.

I love this world. I love where I live, I love who I am, and what the world and the Lord have made me.
But I love that I can help to make the world, too.
The world wouldn't be the same without me, without any of us, and I'm going to try to make sure the difference I make will be a good one.

3 comments:

Lana said...

Well stated, in every respect. I am very proud of this post. I'm not sure why, but it has perfectly summed up my feelings of the world and of others. I'm proud to call you my friend. I love you.

Polly said...

just remember sheltering you was a choice that we made. Remember when your good friends mom was mad at me for not allowing you to watch PG 13 movies at her house that she thought were fine and you were 11. She told me I couldn't protect you from the world and that life would be too shocking for you later, and that it is better to find out what the world is really like from the comfort of your living room with your mother then the harsh realities later. I think if we look at that friend now we see a big difference between her and you. I also don't think now and didn't think then that teenage drug and sex movies are reality, unless of course that is the reality your looking for....

Unknown said...

Thank you for the post. I especially like the Lotus flower analogy. My experience "in the world" has allowed me to to become, in a way numb to things of the world (profanity, immodesty, capitalism, etc). Through this numbness, I have been able to accomplish things that would've been impossible otherwise. I would've been too shocked at the atrocity of a self-centered world to have made any difference. Numbness to evil allows us to see past the bad and focus on the good. I like an apocryphal story about President Kimball when he was out on the town one of his aids, directing attention to some very immodestly dressed waitresses (no, I do not think they were at Hooters) said, "Can you believe that woman?" In response, President Kimball said, "Yes, aren't they beautiful!" Despite the dubious origins of this story, I think it conveys a very important point. Evil is only where you see it. Look past the evil where beauty and goodness abounds.