Saturday, October 25, 2008

Making Wishes

I love to make wishes.
I make wishes at 11:11, and 12:34, and any number that is even remotely significant, like at 4:11, my birthday, if the radio station and the time are the same. If the miles on my car have some sort of a pattern.
I makes wishes when I sneeze. I make wishes when an eye lash falls onto my cheek. I make wishes when I see things that are new, because my exchange student friend from Chile used to make wishes every time she saw a squirrel, because they don't have squirrels in Chile.
I make wishes when I see squirrels.
I make wishes on dandelions, when pulling petals off flowers, when I'm falling asleep at night. When I see white horses. Shooting stars. Going through tunnels.

The problem here isn't that wishes don't come true, or that I'm too old to make wishes, or anything logical, the problem is that I am a mormon. The problem is that I was taught to pray, and ever since I was a child I would make a wish, blow out all the candles on my cake and think, "I wish I could get a bike for my birthday. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
I don't know how to end wishes.
Still, twenty years old I make a wish when I see my breath and think "I wish I could get a date for this weekend."
I walk along a few more steps feeling like I need to end my wish and find myself thinking "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
But then I feel guilty, I've caught myself on dozens of occasions making a wish and then thinking, "Never mind, I'm sorry, it's inappropriate for me to ask that. I don't really need my roommates to bring me cake tonight." Because over time my childish playful wishes have all turned into prayers, and my prayer-wishes always feel guilty for asking for candy, boyfriends, ponies, and that I could somehow get accepted into Hogwarts.
This is a pain in the butt since literally several times a day I make a silly wish, or even a wish that is actually important to me, but maybe selfish, or not necessarily what I ought to be wishing for, and I find myself repenting for it.
Geez, louise.
I wish I could make some good ol' fashioned wishes.

No comments: